April 20, 2008

The Way to Understanding (& Peace of Mind)

Philosophising is all very well but you have to live the life. Live the experience, live the knowledge. Understand, and accept,  movement and change. Know when it is time to hold still. Learn and grow and keep learning. This is the way to understanding (for me, at least).

It's all about putting it into practice.

It's all about finding peace of mind.

I have to point out that it is my understanding, my peace of mind that I seek. There is no absolute understanding as far as I'm concerned .... unless someone can show me differently.

My understanding of the world around me will be shaped by my perception of it. This is unique to me. The events that shape my life are also unique to me because I perceive them in my own unique way. (This will be for a number of factors that I won't go into in depth here at this moment. Suffice to say that nature and nurture both play a part.) So two people who experience the same event will have different memories and feelings about it afterwards. In time these  differences will probably grow because of the individuals internal 'construction' or 'de-construction' that takes place in all our lives.

By this I mean ... what do I mean?

When something happens in our lives, and it need not be a major event, just a passing occurrence, a spoken word, a gesture from a loved one, we 'construct' that event in our psyche. We try to make meaning from it. This happens largely subconsciously but will surface for more extreme occurrences. We apply meaning as well as seeking it afterwards. You will be familiar with the question, "What happened there, then?" frequently asked of ourselves as well as of external events. You will have told yourself some of what just happened there but you will also be asking yourself questions. This leads us back to our understanding of the world and our perception of it .... our uniqueness. No two people will come up with exactly the same reasons and answers for the same event, however close their answers are. Delving psychologically will possibly reveal further differences in how they arrived at their reasoning.

So, I am unique. A bit scary if I think too much about it. But I wouldn't want to be any other way now I have tasted this uniqueness. Subsequently, my search for inner peace will be quite lonely at times as no-one else can share it!

And isn't that the wonder of it all?

I've done it before, I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I'm unable to take your call right now, but if you leave a message I'll get back to you as soon as I can.