June 12, 2008

Amsterdam and Beyond

Amsterdam was hazily brilliant! I was completely off my face Monday (and the Sunday night ... and Tuesday morning); like I haven't been for years. It got quite trippy and unreal a couple of times during the day.

Pauline spat red wine over Rick & Siew Keens trousers, Judith passed out spectacularly amongst a pool of red wine looking for all the world like a murder victim, and there were a few stunned group silences over the course of the 3 days ...... But when we laughed ... Rolling on the floor

I'd need a couple more days there to explore more. We got pretty lost for a while and went round in circles a couple of times ... but that was the fault of two policemen, a removal chappy in an open cellar and a passerby. Nothing at all to do with anything wee'd smoked! It was hot as well and our little legs got quite tired.

Cue the solace of a handy little coffee shop, in a square, outside, under the shade of a large tree. Well, we just had to stop, didn't we? Having partaken of sustenance and conviviality we soldiered on. The rest of the afternoon was spent on board a water bus on the canal. If I could travel to work like that every day I don't think I'd ever feel stressed out again. The journey was beautifully calming.

All too soon Tuesday morning was upon us and we had to do some serious smoking to use up everything we'd bought. Still, we managed it. Then it was off to the airport by tram (which we didn't seem to pay for either of the times we used it) for the afternoon flight back home. I think I was still recovering on Wednesday morning when I went back to work.

And I never thought about work the entire time I was away!

Maybe that's the answer. 3 days in Amsterdam at the beginning of July getting absolutely shit-faced and I'll be well relaxed and set up for the rest of my holidays.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that I left so much out of earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I'm unable to take your call right now, but if you leave a message I'll get back to you as soon as I can.