November 08, 2012

Creative Writing Discipline

I don't know why, but I'm often amazed at how quickly I can come up with an idea in my Creative Writing Class when given a prompt to complete in about 10 minutes. Sometimes our tutor gives us a selection of starting lines and this can be useful for jumping in at the deep end. At other times I might choose something that springs to mind. Each time we have done this exercise I have written for 10 minutes and often wanted more time to develop what is on the page.

I can sit at home and ruminate for hours about what to write and nothing comes. Of course, this isn't always the case otherwise I'd never write anything, but I do sit for ages sometimes thinking about how a conversation should go and what the characters sound like and where the dialogue is taking the story.

I can also write for ages sometimes and end up with fragments of a story that seem to have no beginning, ending, or direction. I think this is one of the most frustrating things as I am feeling creative at the time but without an aim in mind. I collect pieces of writing in the hope I can put them together and come up with the story I always wanted to write.

There are numerous websites giving writing prompts -  a quick search on Google will bring up pages of them - but I don't often use them. Because I have the time to think about it I dismiss some of them as not interesting enough or not quite the subject matter I would have chosen. But I don't have any ideas of my own so it would be more beneficial to go along with the prompts that not.

Without the constraints of class I flounder. If I were stricter with myself I would set a time limit, find a (random) prompt and write. Who knows, I might eventually come up with my masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it seems as though you know what you need to do then to have the best chance of getting your Muse to sit on your lap!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I'm unable to take your call right now, but if you leave a message I'll get back to you as soon as I can.